Website

montanamagicphotography.com

Sunday, February 7, 2016

New Toy!



The new 150-600mm lens arrived last Friday, and it was all I could do to wait until today to be able to get out and give it a try!  But the wait was well worth it because not only did I have the entire day to "play", but the weather could not have been better.  Sunny and mid 40s and a perfect day for a road trip.  I headed down to Lee Metcalf Wildlife Refuge to try this baby out on some waterfowl.  Most of the birds at the refuge migrate south for the winter but there are always a reliable few that tough out the cold weather and ice, and those were the ones I was after for my lens' maiden voyage.  I was not disappointed.

Nine swans wintered over this year, more than ever before and even though they stay toward the middle of the open water, my lens pulled them in close enough for some nice photos.  Mallards galore, Gadwals, Teals, a few Hooded Mergansers and a nice number of Northern Pintails.  

I spent a few hours taking photos and just watching the birds, and enjoying the warmer weather and sunshine. But as often happens here in Montana, the afternoons can be breezy, and true to nature, the warm temps were overshadowed by a cold breeze and I packed up my gear.  

I cannot wait until the migrants return - bring on those tiny little Marsh Wrens and see what kind of shots I can get.  As I sat in my truck viewing photos on the LED screen, I was not only very pleased but ecstatic with the results of this lens.  Was it worth the price?  Oh yeah!!

From top to bottom:  Northern Pintails, Hooded Merganser,  Swans (sorry, can't tell if they are Trumpeter or Tundra, we have both here), Northern Pintail, Bald Eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment