Website

montanamagicphotography.com

Monday, March 7, 2016

March Featured Photo

My featured photo this month is an old, white barn that sits alongside the highway about 30 miles south of where I live.  I remember seeing it when I passed through on vacation many years ago, before I lived here.  It's image is forever in my mind; not for its grandeur or breathtaking beauty, but as a simple and peaceful scene.  

I've photographed this barn many times, but today the lighting was beautiful and the snow capped peak behind it made this shot almost perfect for me.  The old barn had definitely seen better days, and the back side of it is breaking down.  Before long it will be gone - a historic treasure lost to time and the elements.  I would love to find out who owns it so I can learn its history before it's gone.

UPDATE 3/14/16: One week later I drove down this same road, and the barn was GONE!  Torn down to a pile of rubble. The first time I had seen this barn was in 1978, driving up from Idaho on my way to my new home in Montana. Every time I pass it, it makes me smile. Don't ask me why because I truly don't know. Most likely because of the perfect location it sat in, with the beautiful Bitterroot Mountains towering in the background. The small pasture it perched in seems so terribly empty now. This spot now makes me feel somewhat sad... it was like losing an old friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment